Making a quick post before I get absorbed by more of this project!
GITHUB PAGE: https://github.com/ezeakeal/gliderCode
I have bought a SkyWalker X5 which I intend to launch from a weather balloon.
The glider will have on-board the following instruments
- Bluetooth module for serial comms with Arduino
- HTC Wildfire S running Android 4.something (though thats not important)
- A MUVI HD
- A couple of servos (4 so far)
- 8 AA batteries
- (12 -> 5)V voltage converter
- 42″ spherachute
Heres how I intend for it to work
- Android has SL4A installed (allows scripting)
- Using Dropsync, I keep a folder of python scripts for SL4A up to date
- SL4A runs the python scripts using TaskBomb
- The python scripts load a few modules which establish communications with the bluetooth module on the arduino
- There is some light arduino code which listens for certain strings and controls the servos appropriately
- The python scripts on the android use a simple state-machine to control the following states
- Health Check
- Flat Flight (No maneuvers)
- Parachute Release
- The scripts use the android API provided through SL4A and ‘Python for Android’ to access GPS/Orientation/Temperature data.
- This data is used to determine desired angles for Pitch and Roll (Yaw is managed through the glider maintaining a particular roll)
- Once a particular height is reached, or a particularly cold temperature is recorded, the servo which holds the glider to the balloon by means of a loop through a pin, releases the balloon
- Flight is managed until the glider is < 2km above sea-level, at which point the parachute is released.
- Every minute the phone will attempt to send a text to my personal phone with data such as battery level, location, heading, orientation and temperature.
- After that, its all gravy, and we “simply” pick it up from its final location.
Initial Servo Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCwjR-l5Ik8
First Test of “Operational Glider”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxUDuF5Qz8
Glider Tech Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMUhlRagy0M
Stability Improvement Testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpciO6oKgrY
Parachute Test (Success!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbItZ89lRW4
Dunhill Glide Test (Success!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFWcMQu4TQ